Nintendo has announced that Splatoon 2 is getting a massive update this weekend and then another smaller one in December and combined they are bringing new gear, music, looks, stages and an entirely new game mode.
Here is the list of all the updates coming this weekend:
• Four New Battle Stages: While four new battle stages are coming to Splatoon 2, they won’t all be available immediately after downloading the update. Like with previous additions, the stages will roll out over the subsequent weeks, giving players new surprises as they play throughout the holiday season and beyond. The first new battle stage, MakoMart, will be available to play on Saturday 25th November, with Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall coming soon. The new MakoMart stage is a giant superstore-style stage and Shellendorf Institute is also new to the series, while Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall are popular stages returning from the original Splatoon game.
• New Salmon Run Stage: Fan-favourite multiplayer mode Salmon Run is getting a new stage. After downloading the update, Salmonid Smokeyard will be added to the stage rotation. In Salmonid Smokeyard, a wide gap on the beach divides two upper platforms, with fan lifts being the quickest way to traverse the two platforms. Teamwork is required to use the fan lifts effectively.
• New Gear: Approximately 140 pieces of gear are being added to Splatoon 2. These include shoes, headgear and clothes, like a motocross mask, additional winter clothing as well as returning items from the original Splatoon game.
• New Battle Music: Two new bands have been gaining popularity in Inkopolis! The punk-flavoured Bottom Feeders and classically-trained avant-garde-style Ink Theory are contributing new songs to the already music-rich game.
• New Hairstyle: When customising an Inkling, four new hairstyles will be available to choose from – two each for female and male characters.
• Higher Level Caps: Currently, players are maxed out at Level 50. After downloading the update, the new maximum level will be raised to 99. If players talk to Judd when they reach Level 99, they’ll have the option to reset their level display to Level ★1 so they can continue raising their level.
• New amiibo Functionality: Tapping a compatible amiibo figure after the update will let players take and share photos in preset locations in Battle Stages, in addition to being able to take photos in Inkopolis Square. Players can also add fun filters to their images.
• Convenient Gear Swapping: Players who want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won’t have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means players can play the next battle with the same players.